Dr. Raja Hiremani
M.B.B.S, M D Psychiatry, (NIMHANS), FRANZCP(Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists)
Dr Raja Hiremani has over 16 years experience in the field of psychiatry, both in India and overseas.
Dr Hiremani is compassionate medical professional, dedicated to providing excellence and attentiveness in all patient care. He believes in a holistic approach, his patient-centred style emphasises on bio- psychosocial approach.
He is fluent in Kannada, English and Hindi, and knows the basics of Tamil and Telugu.
Dr Hiremani graduated from Bangalore Medical College in 2002. He subsequently completed training in Psychiatry from National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences in 2006. He served as a Junior Consultant in Adult Psychiatry at NIMHANS between the years 2006 and 2007.
He moved to Australia in 2007. He gained Fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (FRANZCP). Subsequently, he has worked across Australia (Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane) over 10 years.
He has extensive experience in managing mood disorder(Bipolar, depression), psychotic( schizophrenia), anxiety disorder(OCD, social phobia, Agoraphobia ,Panic, PTSD),Psychogeriatrics ( Dementias) and personality disorders. His areas of interest are mood disorders, anxiety disorders, eating disorders, neuro-psychiatry, Consultation Liaison Psychiatry and geriatric psychiatry.
Dr Hiremani has been involved in clinical research. He has published several articles in national and international journals. He has presented in many national and international conferences winning a few international awards.
He has been involved in continuing medical education of General physicians and other clinicians on a variety of topics in psychiatry.
He has experience in teaching and supervising psychiatry trainees, interns, medical officers and undergraduate medical students both in India and overseas.
Publications and Presentations
- Hiremani R, Thirthalli J, Tharayil BS, Gangadhar BN. Double-blind randomized controlled study comparing short-term efficacy of bifrontal and bitemporal electroconvulsive therapy in acute mania. Bipolar Disord 2008;10:701-7
- Hiremani RM. Electroconvulsive therapy in a 73 years old woman with an implanted sacral neurostimulation device: Indian J Psychiatry 2016; 58:350-1
- First author of the paper titled “Stimulus electrode placement options in ECT” published in souvenir of 17th Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society, Assam State Branch on 15th September 2007.
- Presented a poster titled “Intervention, policy and programming in substance abuse” at in Symposium on “Addiction – Aetiologies to Interventions”, 26th to 28th November 2004 held at NIMHANS, Bangalore, India.
- Presented a poster titled “Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Study comparing bifrontal and bitemporal electrode placements during ECT in acute mania” in the International Conference on Mood Disorders held on 30 March-1 April 2006, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Presented a poster titled “Superiority of bifrontal ECT over bitemporal ECT in acute mania: evidence for no additional load on the heart” seventh international conference on bipolar disorder 7-9 June, 2007 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA (Superiority of bifrontal ECT over bitemporal ECT in acute mania: evidence for no additional load on the heart”. Bipolar Disorders, 2007 Sep; 9 (Suppl. 1): 104).
- Co- authors of poster titled “Predictors of remission from manic episode” presented in International society for Bipolar Disorders conference held on 27-28 January 2008 in Delhi -Agra, India that won Poster award (Predictors of remission from manic episode”. Bipolar Disorders, 2008 Jan; 10 (Suppl. 1): 65).
- Presented a poster titled (first author) “Parkinson’s disease and Psychosis treated with Clozapine” at Neurological Disorders Summit, July 6-8 2015, San Francisco, USA.
- First author of poster titled “Pregnant woman with treatment resistant schizophrenia on Clozapine”, at Australasian Marce Society for Perinatal Mental Health Conference, Adelaide, October 22-24, 2015.
- Funding from Indian council of medical research (ICMR) financial assistance to MD thesis programme for year 2006 during Postgraduate training in Psychiatry.
- Poster award in the International Conference on Mood Disorders held on 30 March-1 April 2006, at Istanbul, Turkey.
- One of the Co-authors for poster, which won Poster award in the International society for Bipolar Disorders conference, held on 27-28 January 2008 in Delhi -Agra, India.
Activities and other role
Past coordinator of psychiatry teaching for group of medical students at the Flinders University, Adelaide, (Onkaparinga Clinical Education Program (OCEP) at Noarlunga Health services)